NARIT is a leading organization in Thailand and South-East Asia based in Chiang Mai. In particular, NARIT manages the Thai National Observatory at a 2,457m site on Doi Inthanon, with a new 2.4-meter telescope which is the largest in South East Asia. NARIT also comprises an optical laboratory which includes all the essential equipment to perform cutting edge research in optics. In the framework of the development of a group dedicated to the research and development in optical instrumentation, NARIT is recruiting an research assistant.
The research assistant will be a member of the research and development team. He provide a support to the researcher of the optical team for the development of optical instruments and for the improvement of the Thai National Telescope performance. The main duties of the research assistant will be:
• To contribute to the development of the optical setups developed at NARIT and to measure their performance
• To contribute to the development of the analytical and numerical models of the optical instruments developed at NARIT. That includes the modelling of optical systems with the optical design software ZEMAX.
• To support the alignment of the Thai National Telescope optical and to contribute to the measurement of the wavefront quality at the Thai National Observatory.
Requirements for the position
• Bachelor or master degree in optics, physics or astronomy.
• Fluent in written and spoken English.
• Basic knowledge of wave optics, diffraction and Fourier transform formalism.
• Strong motivation for the development of innovative optical experimentations.
• Strong motivation to work in an optical laboratory and in an astronomical observatory
Citizens of any country are invited to apply, without discrimination for gender, race or religion.
Contact and conditions
The position is for one year, with extensions possible. The monthly salary shall be in the range 19,000-21,000 THB for an applicant with a bachelor degree or in the range 25,000 – 30,000 THB for an applicant with a master degree. This salary would be inclusive of housing allowance and medical insurance, subject to income tax. Cost of living and income tax in Thailand are considerable lower than, e.g., those in western countries. Chiang Mai is a vibrant and pleasant city in northern Thailand, with many touristic attractions and a large expatriate community.
The position will be available starting from 1st October 2015. Applications can be sent in free format to the postal or email address and they shall include a cover letter with the foreseen starting date and a CV. Short-listed applicants might be asked for an online interview (e.g. via skype). Applications are invited until the position will be filled.
National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (Public Organization)
191 Siripanich Building, Huay Kaew Road
Muang District, Chiang Mai