NARIT is a leading organization in Thailand and South-East Asia based in Chiang Mai. In particular, NARIT manages the Thai National Observatory at a 2,457m site on Doi Inthanon, with a new 2.4-meter telescope which is the largest in South East Asia. NARIT also comprises an optical laboratory which includes all the essential equipment to perform cutting edge research in optics. In the framework of the development of a group dedicated to the research and development in optical instrumentation, NARIT is recruiting a mechanical and system engineer.
The mechanical and system engineer will be a member of the NARIT Optical laboratory and he will report to the leader of the optical laboratory. He will perform the system and mechanical analyses of the optical instrument in development at NARIT by performing the following duties:
• Mecha-thermal design definition and simulation of the instruments currently in development at NARIT optical laboratory.
• Development of the optical setups control software in Labview/Python.
• Support to the TNT optical alignment and design optimization.
• Contribution to the NARIT optical laboratory activities: participation to the meetings, organization of workshops, etc…
Requirements for the position
• Master degree in system and/or mechanical engineering.
• Good level in Solidwork design and simulation activities
• Good level in Labview, Python and Matlab softwares.
• Fluent in written and spoken English.
• Strong motivation for the development of innovative optical experimentations.
Citizens of any country are invited to apply, without discrimination for gender, race or religion.
Contact and conditions
The position is for one year, with extensions possible. The monthly salary shall be in the range 20,000 -25,000 THB. This salary would be inclusive of housing allowance and medical insurance, subject to income tax. Cost of living and income tax in Thailand are considerable lower than, e.g., those in western countries. Chiang Mai is a vibrant and pleasant city in northern Thailand, with many touristic attractions and a large expatriate community.
The position will be available starting from 1st October 2017. Applications can be sent in free format to the postal or email address and they shall include a cover letter with the foreseen starting date and a CV. Short-listed applicants might be asked for an online interview (e.g. via skype). Applications are invited until the position will be filled.
National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (Public Organization)
191 Siripanich Building, Huay Kaew Road
Muang District, Chiang Mai